Pteranodon is an ambient pterosaur in Carnivores 2, Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter and Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter HD . It is a relatively common animal, flying above the hunter and screeching.
Pteranodon is a massive flying reptile known as a pterosaur – not a dinosaur, but a close relative. Pteranodon's wing-span is also longer and larger than that of any known living bird. Despite the its enormous qualities, the animal is quite skittish, often vocalizing its distress when the player is near. Pteranodon has a long head crest that is probably used to help counter and balance the weight of its massive beak, which it used to capture fish and other aquatic animals.
Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter HD
- Pteranodon, Dimorphodon, and Archaeopteryx all share the same AI.
- Shooting down a Pteranadon in Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter HD will reward the player with 5 gems.
- Pteranodon makes a cameo appearance on the box art of the original Carnivores, despite not making an in-game appearance until Carnivores 2.
- Interestingly, killing a Pteranodon or Dimorphodon in Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter rewards the player with a single credit. This is in contrast to Carnivores 2, where killing either of the aforementioned creatures awards the hunter with nothing.
- For information regarding its role in the Plutyrian Cycle, see Pteranodon.